For Israelis food and family have a tight connection, and sometimes you can’t even separate them at all.
When Shlomi decided to open the first SoomSoom vegetarian bar, he brought all the equipment from Israel, as well as his 70-year-old old uncle who taught him all the family’s kitchen secrets.
The story began way back in the early 1950s in the ancient city of Tiberias in Israel, when Shlomi’s family opened their first restaurant. If you visit at SoomSoom you can’t miss the big old family photograph printed on the wall and on the menus.
But it is not an Israeli restaurant. It is a vegetarian bar based on Mediterranean cuisine. It is 100% natural, and it is 100% fresh.
The menu includes mostly sandwiches like Pita with Falafel, Sabich, Green Omelet, Shakshuka sandwich and Burekasabich. It also offers an open salad bar with more than 18 different salads and dressing, all made from their original recipe.
Shelomi kindly shared with us the one of the family secrets – the recipe for the tasty Sabich:
Ingredients (for one person)
1 fresh pita bread
4-5 thin fried eggplant slices (Instructions below)
1 boiled egg (Instructions below)
1 small cooked potato, sliced (Instructions below)
Salt & pepper
4-5 thin eggplant slices, salted, drained and washed
Oil for deep-frying
1. Beat the egg in a bowl with 1 tablespoon water.
2. Heat oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat.
3. Dip the eggplant into the beaten egg.
4. Fry until golden.
boiled egg and cooked potato
1 small potato
1 tea bag
1 teaspoon paprika
½ onion, peeled and sliced
My short way:
1. Put all the ingredients in a pot, cover with water and bring to boil.
2. Lower the heat and cook for 60 minutes.
3. Slice thinly.
SoomSoom’s traditional way:
1. Put all the ingredients in a pot, cover with water, bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Cover the pot tightly with aluminum foil.
3. Cook for 12 hours on “hot plate” (or on the stove with the lowest heat)
4. Slice thinly.
Arrange the dish:
1. Spread Hummus on the inside of a pita, stuff with fried eggplant slices, sliced boiled egg and sliced cooked potato.
2. Add fresh salads and vegetable.
SoomSoom: 8 W 46th St. // 672 Lexington Ave. // 166 W 72nd St.