Saturday, January 14, 2012

A recipe – Orange soup


I live in denial! As long there is no snow, I can’t internalize that the winter is already here.
Every morning before I even open my eyes I check the weather, and if it is 34 F degrees and up, it is ok. 
I don’t know how 34 F (0 C degrees) became my comparison point – is it cold or is it ok?
Suddenly I realized - it’s not okay, even 40 degrees is too (F***) cold!



Ingredients
2 potatoes - peeled and cubed
3 - 4 carrots - chopped
1 sweet potato - peeled and cubed
½ acorn squash (or same size piece of pumpkin) - peeled, seeded, and cubed
½ cup of small red lentils – washed
2 cloves garlic - sliced
5 cups of water
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt & pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil


Directions
1.     Heat the oil in a large pot; add the garlic and the carrots and fry while stirring.
2.     Add while stirring the potatoes, sweet potato, squash and in the end the lentils. Stir all together for one minute.
3.     Add the water and the cumin, salt and pepper, stir and bring to boil, cover and lower the heat. Cook for 30 minutes.
4.     Turn the heat off.
5.     If you have a hand blender – blend all together in side the pot until desired consistency. Turn the heat again and bring to boil.
If you have a blender – pour the soup into the blender container and blend for 2 minutes until desired consistency. Pour the soup back into the pot and bring to boil.
6.     Garnish with parsley or seed mixture to serve.



No comments: