Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A recipe – Beet salad

I haven’t eaten clementines for about 20 years. If you ask me why I really won’t have a good answer. I don’t like the smell, I don’t like the feeling on your hands after you eat them… but I don’t really even remember what they taste like. Maybe I would like them if I tried them, but I don’t think I will.
Beets are the same. I have no idea why I’ve disliked them all my life. I’ve never eaten them. I think in my mind I relate them to food old people eat. My grandparents used to eat Borsht, which is a soup made of beets. I still imagine it doesn’t taste good, but the color is amazing.
When I traveled to Morocco I had no choice, as they served beet salad at every meal. And since I traveled during Ramadan, I ate everything I found!
And I liked them! A lot!
Ingredients
2 red beetroots 
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 – 3 tablespoon olive oil
2 – 3 tablespoon vinegar
Juice from ½ of lemon
Bunch of fresh parsley chopped (or coriander, or half and half)
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt & pepper
Directions
1.     Rinse the beets. Place in a pot, cover with water and boil until tender.
2.     Drain the beets, and slide the skins off. Allow the beets to cool, and then cut the beets as French fries.
3.     Mix the beets in a bowl with the remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
4.     Prior to serving, taste the salad and adjust the seasoning if desired.

No comments: