Friday, March 2, 2012

A recipe – Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes and Tuna


I found myself with dozens of boxes of pasta.
For me, going to the supermarket is a big deal. There are preparations to make: making a list, checking it again and updating the list, taking the cart, coat, bags, sneakers, and here we go.
It is a journey. 15 minutes to get there, about 90 minutes there (I never understand how it gets so long) and 15 more minutes hiking the crazy hill back home.
Though I have a list, I walk down every aisle, observing every shelf or refrigerator. I only skip the cans, soft drinks, and the pre-made food. 
And in the end, the cart is full mostly with things that never mentioned in the list, like pasta. I always have a feeling that I will run off pasta, and just in case, I get a few more. 
So, I find myself with dozens of boxes of pasta; and that means we are going to cook a lot of pasta in the following weeks…


Ingredients
Whole wheat pasta * (amount for 2 people)
1 onion - medium size
4-5 tomatoes – sliced into cubes
3 cloves of garlic
1 can of tuna in water
Freshly squeezed juice from - 1/2 lemon
Chili - a little bit (not a must)
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
* For this recipe I prefer spaghetti, but you can use any other type of pasta

Directions
1.     Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in olive oil until golden.
2.     Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta in boiling the water for 8-10 minutes or until done; drain and wash immediately with cold water (to stop the cooking process).
3.     Add the tomatoes to the onion and garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes. Cover and cook for about 5 more minutes (keep stirring every few minutes) until you get a nice sauce. 
4.     In a small bowl, mash the tuna with the lemon juice, and add to the tomatoes. Add salt, pepper and chili.
5.     Stir all together for 2 minutes.
6.     Add the pasta and mix all together, just until the pasta is hot enough (2-3 minutes, don’t over cook!), and serve.

No comments: