Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Protein - @#$%^&*&^%$#@ - what is it?

No, I am not a Doctor and not a nutritionist. I am a photographer who like to cook as much as I like to photograph. So when I got my blood test I made a little “research”, tried to understand what should I eat and what I should not. Everything in this blog is about sharing my experience only, and not health / nutrition info or tips.

I found the article “The Nutrition Source - Protein” on HARVARD School of Public Health website, very clear and helpful.


So what is it Protein?

Proteins are polymer chains made of amino acids linked together by peptide bonds” (Wikipedia). I know, it is sound like Chinese!

The sources for Protein in our food are:
Animal source – fish, poultry, red meat, dairy foods (milk, cheese, and yogurt), eggs. This is the best source for protein, since they contain all the amino acids needed to build new Proteins. The problem is, that they have “side effects” as high level of cholesterol, lactose and other.
Whole grainsbrown rice, whole wheat, rye, quinoa, corn
Legumes – lentils, chickpeas, soy, beans, peas
Nuts and seeds – walnuts, cashews, almonds, flax, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame



But as many things in life, It's not quantity but quality, and in the Protein case - It's the Protein package (or mix) that's likely to make a difference.






No comments: